Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Putting Out The Trash

I love Stie over at These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things. She's hilarious and a great writer! Yesterday, she wrote a thought-provoking post about whether we bloggers tend to keep it real on our blogs or if we only put our best foot forward, so to speak, only allowing our readers to see what we want them to see.

Do I intentionally only put my best foot forward and cover up the trash piles, far from the eyes of my blog friends? Sometimes. Because, really, life can be hard and messy and trashy at times and sometimes I just want to focus on the positive and leave the messy stuff out of it. Sometimes when I visit certain blogs, I also wonder if what I'm reading and seeing is actually the real deal. Some of these women's lives seem so perfect. Their houses are always spotless, their children seem to always be dressed in clean (and matching) clothes with clean faces and brushed hair, the laundry is washed (and put away) AND and there is always some awesome dinner baking in the oven!

Seriously? I'm lucky if I have ONE of things going on......but never all of them at the same time!

So, what do you think? Is it real or are they only revealing the parts they want us to see? The best parts. If it's genuine, more power to them! I would love to have my act a lot more together and I could probably stand to learn a thing or two from some of these wonder women. And I do believe there are some extraordinary women out there who really can do it all!

And really, I'm not jealous. Much.

I am, however, pretty genuine when it comes to my blog. I actually do "keep it real" with most aspects of my life. Although I will admit to not posting certain pictures of myself because, well, I wouldn't want anyone to die of fright. Also, there may be certain topics that I haven't posted about because it doesn't fit into the "image" that I am trying to present. You know, that image of being a cool, hip Mom who keeps a spotless house, spotless children and is a gourmet cook.

You weren't fooled, huh?

Considering that my house is typically not spotless, I don't know how to cook and I have been known to wear my pajamas in public, I'm guessing that you saw right through my pathetic charade.

So, here's to keeping it MORE real in 2010. I promise to let down my guard a little more and, as Stie says, "put out the trash." Because sometimes trash can be beautiful......it all depends on your perspective I guess. After all, how bad can it really be?



Apparently pretty bad. Messy house, no make-up, pajamas......

Just putting out a little trash.

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I think I too am wary of posting too much negative, but it's much more interesting to see all the "trash" too isn't it?
    When I first started reading other's blogs, I was pretty intimidated, now I'm seeing a few that are admitting to some pretty serious problems and I feel much more blessed.
    Good reminder to "keep it real"
    By the way, I love your pj's and you look pretty good without makeup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many bloggers out there that seem to have such perfect little lives. Never any messy kids, tantrums to deal with, messy houses, nights where they don't cook and end up in the McDonald's drive thru (heaven forbid). They would never be caught dead yelling or losing their temper with their kids, etc, etc. Don't believe any of it for a minute. These ladies are not real. Anyone that claims to live that kind of existence is fake and not someone I would want to get to know. I know, harsh, but so true.

    My blog was created to keep a journal of sorts for my kids to one day look back on and read. A journal that tells all about them growing up, all sorts of memories from their childhood. The good, the bad AND the ugly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post. I've been wondering that myself as well, whether or not some bloggers are true to how they are in their entries as they are IRL.

    I'd have to say my blog is a pretty decent representation of my thoughts and emotions. Even if I have to put a sarcastic twist on how I present it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I like to write about the positive. I'm not saying that there aren't negatives in my life, but I just don't like to focus on them or whine and carry on... and I want to avoid frantic phone calls from my mom or friends about what's wrong.

    Sure, I scream at my kids sometimes and am a firm believer in the "oh that must have just happened!" philosophy when it comes to stains or spots on my shirt, but I get over it rather quickly.

    I am definitely a glass half-full kind of girl and hope that my blog reflects that attitude.

    ReplyDelete