Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Bring It, Mr. Owl

Remember the Tootsie Roll Pop commercial from the 70's and 80's that is now making a comeback? You know, the one with the wise old owl......
Boy: "Mr. Owl, how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop?"
Mr. Owl: "Let's find out." (Mr. Owl proceeds to lick boy's Tootsie Roll Pop)
Mr. Owl: "A one, a two, a three....." (Mr. Owl bites into boy's Tootsie Roll Pop)
Announcer: "The world may never know."
I LOVE THAT COMMERCIAL.
Mainly because it takes me back to my childhood.
But also because Mr. Owl rocks.
But I digress.
Over the weekend, we took on the mission of discovering just how many licks it does take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop. And with Halloween candy still miraculously laying around, we we're ready to get this show on the road.
Because we are all kinds of wild and crazy.
Ben was the official licker. I was the official counter and picture taker. Ray and Ali we're the cheerleaders. And by cheerleaders, I mean Ray watched tv and Ali played with her Barbies pretty much oblivious to what we were doing.
Here is the play by play:

This is towards the beginning of the challenge, at approximately 200 licks. I think Ben is feeling pretty confident.

Pacing himself.

The pressure seems to be setting in at this point......come on, Ben, you can do this!

The finish line is within sight......

1,517 licks later, Ben finally got to the center of his Tootsie Roll Pop.

Challenged completed but looped up on sugar......sweet victory!



6 comments:

  1. Now that sounds like a fun study! You're a good mom for having the patience to count that many licks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! The pictures to go with it, are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. Thanks for stopping by my blog! We love to meet new bloggy friends! I will be sure to visit you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! You guys did it!! That awesome. And wow thats a lotta licks!! :)

    Blessings-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad the world finally knows... :)
    That ad ranked right up there with Dolly Madison for me. Thanks for the memories!
    Maybe we'll conduct our own experiment on this, you know, for science.

    ReplyDelete